Skip to content

A Level in Media Studies

  • WINDSOR COLLEGE
  • LEVEL 3

Course Overview

You will enjoy this course if you have a serious interest in the media, including TV, film, magazines and newspapers, computer games, music video, social media, online and advertising.

Course Code

FP3DMED2W1

End Date

Fri, 26 Jun 2026

Entry Requirements

Requires either a GCSE in English language or English literature at grade 5, plus the standard entry requirements of an
A Level or mixed programme...

Course information

Over the space of two years, you will engage in critical debate, discussion and analysis in order to understand the importance and power of the media. You will also put theory into practice by producing a cross-media creative piece of their own design.

The theoretical part of the course will focus on a range of case studies across all the media industries, including vintage and contemporary products. The purpose of the text, how the text can be interpreted and effect on the audience will be explored. There is also a focus on the historical, cultural, social and political contexts in which the texts were created. We will also look at how the ideologies of the media producers are encoded within the media texts that are produced.

2 Years

In class, face to face.

70% of the Media Studies A Level will be assessed through two final exams, which will take place at the end of your second year. One exam focuses on media products, industries and audiences the other focuses on media forms and products. The remaining 30% of the qualification is assessed through practical coursework. For this component, you will create a cross-media product, which could incorporate either moving image or still image.

Level 3 WJEC GCE A Level in Media Studies

Regular Q&As and masterclasses from industry professionals. Trips to Harry Potter Studios and Pinewood Futures festival.

University, or a career or apprenticeship in media industry.

Level 3

Book an open day & come visit us!

Come along to one of our open days and explore everything on offer.